Friday, February 06, 2009

Mailing Lists

I spent an entire day after we got our power back going through a week of mail, which consists mostly of catalogs and credit card offers. It's time consuming because I shred all of the pages with our personal information on them.
My junk mail has doubled the past two years. When my mother died and I put in a change of address to have all of her mail forwarded to me, the catalogs, credit card offers, charities and AARP also received the information.
I hate getting junk mail. Turns out, "The Green Year" is talking about that this week, giving advice on how to get off of catalog mailing lists.
Jodi Helmer says 8 million tons of trees are used in the production of catalogs each year. She advises to go to www.catalogchoice.org and have yourself removed from any catalog lists you don't want. "You can continue receiving catalogs from your favorite retailers," Helmer says. "Just be sure to recycle them when you're finished with them."
I've also started taking the time to call AARP and non-profits my mom's name was on, advising them to please remove her name.
As for our pre-approved credit card offers, there's a toll free number you can opt out of these: 888-567-8688.
Because mailers are pre-printed, you might continue to receive junk mail for a few months, but it should start to substantially decrease over time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home