Monday, May 18, 2009

One Perfect Day in the Ozarks

We finally had one perfect sunny day in the Ozarks yesterday and we used it to work outside. Dale helped me plant my Topsy Turvey tomatoes - you know the ones that hang upside down in a basket. As he worked clearing some more debris from the ice storm and raking leaves, I planted my flowers, which is a sign spring is here and summer is on it's way!
It's a bit late this year as it has been one wet, cool spring, but yesterday was a perfect 70 degrees or so with low humidity and bright, sunny skies. We haven't seen that often in the past month. It felt so good, I didn't put on the sunscreen yesterday (I know, very bad) and soaked in the Vitamin D.
My plants also made their way out for their summer growth - all for one - the peace Lilly my Godbrother and his wife sent to Mom's funeral. They don't do well in extremes so it stays in year around. It's good to have plants in the house, as they work to create oxygen in the house, while helping clear the air of toxins.
This brings me to Jodi Helmer's tip in "The Green Year," which also advises to have houseplants in the home year around. She says English Ivy, Bamboo and Spider Plants are best for improving air quality inside.
Make sure your plants aren't toxic to your pets, though. Go to www.earthclinic.com/pets/poisonous_plants.html to learn which ones might be harmful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home