Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Get Turned Off

I'm back after a nice long break working on other projects throughout last week. After receiving our first "big" bill from having the air on this summer, I'm looking for ways to save energy. I thought I would check into the theory that leaving your computer on idle all of the time helps it last longer. According to most things I've read this is not only no longer true, turning off and unplugging the computer while not in use will help save a lot of energy - and a lot of green. Apparently, leaving the computer on used to make it last longer, but this was for the older models.
Other things you should always unplug when not in use are battery chargers and high-energy pulling appliances. Even when something is turned off, it is still pulling juice - and tapping your wallet.
There's another reason for my turning my computer off at night. We haven't been sleeping well and because my home office is still currently temporarily in our bedroom, it could be due to all the electric fields. Yep, some experts believe it isn't good for sleep patterns to have a lot of electricity floating in the air.
At this point (yawn), I'll give anything a try - especially if it will save money on the electric bill too.
Here's the link to the Dept of Energy's website on home offices:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/home_office.html

By the way, for my readers in Little Rock, I will be a guest on Saturday Day Break this Saturday, July 12 (my 22nd wedding anniversary) KATV talking about what else - Going Green in the Ozarks! Tune in if you're local.

1 Comments:

At 09 July, 2008 , Blogger Life's Beautiful Path said...

Kerri, what about our ceiling fans, do they use a lot of electricity? Will watch for you on KATV Saturday. Mary

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home