Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Avoiding the Flu

Sometimes in our quest to be more natural, we shy away from routine medicines that might make us better. While I subscribe to a certain extent to the power of herbs and natural remedies, I believe modern science also plays a part in our health.
My father came from a very large family - he was the youngest of 13. The one thing I think he always felt was missing was knowing most of his siblings. By the time he was born in 1923, most of his siblings were dead. They had died in the influenza outbreak of 1918.
Today, while the flu is rarely fatal for people who don't have other complicating health factors, we have the benefit of having a vaccine that my aunts and uncles who died that year did not.
My husband, mother and I started getting flu shots probably about a decade ago when we first learned Mom had COPD, a chronic lung disease. The flu, as well as pneumonia is very dangerous for people with chrnoic lung conditions. Now that Mom is gone we still get our flu shots. For one thing, my husband is a diabetic and it is recommended by his doctor. Diabetics who get ill have a terrible time controlling their blood sugar levels.
For another, I hate being sick, and I don't want to take 7-14 days from my life to nurse the flu.
The flu shots are safe for most people and it is a myth you can actually catch the flu from the vaccine.
I'm going to get mine today.
From the CDC, here's a list of people who should not get a shot before talking with their doctor:

People who are have a severe allergy to hens' eggs
People who have had a severe reaction to a flu vaccine in the past
People who previously developed Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) in the 6 weeks after getting a flu shot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home