Monday, February 09, 2009

Chemical Free

When I was talking to a friend of mine in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, she told me she was trying to make her household totally chemical free.
It's a good goal, although a tough one for generations of us brought up to think that chemical cleaners are the smell of a nice, fresh house and chlorine bleach is the only way to keep our whites nice and white.
The weather has been so beautiful here in the Ozarks these past few days that me and my friend and neighbor, Rae, went into Mountain Home yesterday to hit some of the antique and junk stores. On the square, we found the coolest health food and supplement store. We're told Nature's Way has been on the square since the 1970s.
They have more than just food and supplements, they have a whole store of soaps, lotions, cleaning products, deodarant and toothpastes.
We had a blast talking with the clerks and learning more about natural and whole products available in this area. I did learn about a natural food store that sells some organic, free range meat (but they were closed when we went there) and some disturbing stuff about antibacterial soap (I'll post it if I find it to be true).
I've tried the Green Works line of cleaners. Specifically, the toilet cleaner, which is very good. However, while in Nature's Way, I decided to try the Seventh Generation line of dish soap and natural bleach that is safe for the environment.
I'll post updates on those later.
Now, for those environmentally friendly toothbrushes Jodi Helmer mentions in the "Green Year."
I'll post more about that quest on Wednesday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home