Friday, March 13, 2009

Shopping Secondhand Stores

I once wrote on this blog that I had so much furniture from inheriting my mother's antiques that I would probably never have to buy another stick of furniture again. Well, I've had to buy a desk and a bed- and I tried to keep it as eco-friendly as possible. But when my husband wanted me to buy another patio set for the small covered porch on my office, I told him we could do with what we have. There's no sense, really, in wasting resources (ours or the earths) when we have 2 sets that could be used sitting in our storage barn.
Jodi Helmer suggests in "The Green Year" that we do the same thing with clothes. "Americans dispose of nearly 4 billion tons of clothing every year. Fabric can take years to break down in the landfill." Helmer writes that vintage clothing is fashionable, provides a one of a kind look and keeps clothes from the landfill.
My neighbor here shops at second hand stores for her clothes and you would never know it. The next time I need an outfit, I'll probably join her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home