Friday, February 20, 2009

Update on New Products

Two weeks ago, I started buying all natural cleansers and soaps at Nature's Way, the natural health food store in Mountain Home.
I started using antibacterial soaps some years ago when I had problems staying healthy in the winter.
Turns out, that might not be such a safe thing to do. The clerk at Nature's Way told me that some studies suggest that these soaps cause cancer. I did a little checking and it turns out that some chemicals added to some antibacterial soaps may cause dioxin when mixed with water - which is known to cause cancer.
I checked my soaps I'm using up from Bath and Body Works and couldn't tell if they had the offending chemicals or not, so I think I'll just stop using them.
I really love natural body products made by Indigo Wild in Kansas City. I've interviewed the owner for a story I did on them and they are really a cool company. Not only are they dog friendly - meaning they allow their employees to bring their dogs to work - they make all natural products for dogs as well. They're at www.indigowild.com
As for the products I bought at Nature's Way - Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid and all natural, enviro-friendly bleach, I like both of the products.
I also did buy an all natural lavender hand soap made by Avalon Organics at www.avalonorganics.com and really love it.
The thing I don't like about both of these products is that they aren't packaged in environmentally friendly packaging. They are in small plastic containers that have to be replaced, instead of just buying a large bulk refill.
The clerk at Nature's Way suggested I email the companies and ask them to make bulk refills to save plastics from the landfills. If enough customers complain, they might do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home