Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Biodegradable Toothbrushes

Interestingly, the first time I ever saw one was in Wal-Mart, and I loved it. I bought 3 before they stopped carrying them.
Jodi Helmer talks about biodegradable toothbrushes in her book "The Green Year," saying that 50 million pounds of garbage each year in landfills comes from toothbrushes, which are made of plastic - which never breaks down.
When I was in the natural health food store last weekend, I looked for such a brush, but all they had were brushes made with natural hair, but they still had the regular, plastic handles.
"The Green Year" points consumers to two websites: www.recycline.com, which makes toothbrushes from recycled yogart cups. When you're ready for a new toothbrush, you just mail it back to the company in a postage paid mailer and the old toothbrush will find yet another life - maybe as outdoor furniture.
www.radiustoothbrush.com makes the handles from Nebraska Maize and you simply replace the head when it's time for a new one.
I'm hoping the natural health food store in Mountain Home will find one to carry, but if not, my toothbrushes might be arriving in the mail with my Netflix!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home