Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Green Lawns


When the FedEx lady brought a package to my home yesterday, she petted my dogs as she usually does and commented on their ticks. I told her we tried to get rid of them using any means possible, finally resorting to a topical treatment. It didn't work, but I told her we are trying another. I don't like putting poison on my dogs skin, but I don't like living with the fear of them - or us - developing a tick borne illness either.
She then said she used some different type of granuals on the ground. I told her that wouldn't work here, because the dogs are picking up ticks outside of our yard, in the woods. "Besides," I said."I wouldn't want that stuff to run into the ground water that feeds our well."
Sometimes, like my mom always said, the cure's side effects are worse than the disease.
I bought some all natural spray and if my husband ever gets it down, we can see if it works. He doubts it. But I'll also know we're not polluting the ground water or the lake with poisons either.
For you suburbanites, I received a press release on an environmentally friendly lawn care service that is also working to offset its carbon footprint: www.cleanairlawncare.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home