Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Fluorescent Bulb Danger
Thanks to my friend, Kay Shevling, back in Kansas City, for this warning she posted on the comments section. It's important, so I decided to bring it to the front page:
I do want to mention an issue about the fluorescent bulbs. About 10% to 15% of our population has a hypersensitivity to light called "ScotopicSensitivity Syndrome" or Irlen Syndrome; www.irlen.com. This conditionis often exacerbated by fluorescent lights -- one of the reasons forthe high rate of dyslexia in our schools. I probably have talked aboutthis with you before, but it is the reason I wear tinted glasses. Theseglasses filter out the light waves that bother me most.I would suggest that anyone who has a family member who has beendiagnosed with dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Autism, Migraine Headaches, orother stress-related problems check the web site or have that personscreened for Irlen Syndrome before they completely change tofluorescent bulbs. They may want to maintain an area where lighting ismore gentle for that person or persons (there does appear to be agenetic component to the syndrome).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home