Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stopping Pesky Junk Mail
I'm finally beginning the process of stopping my mom's catalogues from clogging up our mailbox. I say "finally" because Mom died a year ago this week.
When we put in the change of address to have her business mail sent to us, it wasn't long before the catalogue companies found out her "new address" as well.
I had long ago signed ourselves up to keep our names off of junk mail lists. Mom, however, did most of her shopping, all of her life, by mail order and loved to get catalogues.
I knew I should stop the junk long ago, but I guess it was the last act of finalizing her business that made me hesitate.
Mom was concerned about the environment, though, and I know she would approve of me ending the slaughter of some trees and the energy it takes to produce and deliver that paper.
I'm calling the toll free numbers on the catalogues, but if you haven't opted out of junk mail, you can look at this website, which gives a pretty comprehensive list of ways to stop the junk:
http://www.junkmailstopper.com/

1 Comments:

At 26 February, 2008 , Blogger kayfromks said...

I enjoy your articles about going green. It is a passion for me. In fact, I sometimes wonder what the trash men think when they pick up my dog food bag with a small amount of trash in it. They probably think my house is messy, and, in fact, they are right.

I do want to mention an issue about the fluorescent bulbs. About 10% to 15% of our population has a hypersensitivity to light called "Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome" or Irlen Syndrome; www.irlen.com. This condition is often exacerbated by fluorescent lights -- one of the reasons for the high rate of dyslexia in our schools. I probably have talked about this with you before, but it is the reason I wear tinted glasses. These glasses filter out the light waves that bother me most.

I would suggest that anyone who has a family member who has been diagnosed with dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Autism, Migraine Headaches, or other stress-related problems check the web site or have that person screened for Irlen Syndrome before they completely change to fluorescent bulbs. They may want to maintain an area where lighting is more gentle for that person or persons (there does appear to be a genetic component to the syndrome).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home