Monday, May 12, 2008

That Crazy Rabbit

One of the things I couldn't wait to do once I got here was plant a vegetable garden. Well, things have been a little crazy since Dale joined me last October. This rocky terrain is not good for gardens of any kind and most gardens have to be built up and we coulnd't find anything that compares with rich Kansas top soil. Besides, I wanted to make sure I kept the rabbits, armadillos, deer and anything else that wanted to eat the fruits of my labor - away. I just decided to plant a container garden. I did some online research and everything I wanted this year - tomatoes, radishes, green onion and cucumber could be done in a container garden. All my seeds did well, but for the tomatoes and I ended up buying some plants. Since their planting, they've done very well - my husband thinks the tomatoes are growing by the day.
And then comes Mr. or Mrs. Rabbit. Hop, hop, hop up onto the deck - even with the threat of the dogs. Me and the dogs heard him twice and my husband caught him once. We've since taken to blocking the deck off with a pet gate, but I need more of a guarantee that I won't wake up one morning to a munched-out disaster. I mean, I told my husband not to spray the clover near the house with weed killer, for heaven's sake. Why can't the rabbit be happy with that!?
Back in the burbs, I used an environmentally safe product called "Deer Off," a mixture of hot red pepper, to keep the squirrels from my flowers. But not knowing how that might affect the taste of veggies, I think I'll see if something I heard about human hair might work:
Take some hair clippings and put them into a mesh or net cloth material, and tie it to the garden fence surrounding the veggies. Word is that the human scent repels wild animals.
I'll give it a shot - it's better than shooting the rabbit.

1 Comments:

At 03 June, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try coffee grounds. If you don't drink coffee, ask for the grounds at a coffee shop in town. I discovered this accidentally through my composter. I had noticed that the squirrels loved to eat whatever cantaloupe was left on the rinds when I added them to the composter. One day I had dumped coffee grounds in with the rinds and the squirrels wouldn't touch them. So, when I planted tulip bulbs that fall I put a tablespoon of coffee grounds on top of every bulb before I buried it. Squirrels love tulip bulbs, but mine still bloom every spring and have for the past eight years. Now I put coffee grounds on anything I plant. It disguises the fragrance of what varmints perceive as buried food and adds nitrogen to the soil. when I got coffee ground from our neighborhood Italian deli the proprietor said that his Italian grandmother always dumped the coffee grounds into her garden.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home